Tuesday, March 29, 2011
What is the role of a black man?
I have come in contact with a number of Black Men in my nineteen and some years of life. Each has been unique, and each has been powerful. What I'd like to know is what is their purpose, and is there only one pupose? African-Americans are traditionally at quite a disadvantage because we must constantly measure up with the White Man. Why must all out measures of success be interms of caucasian values? Yes I am making very broad generlizations but I want us all to think, what is success? Is the first thing that comes to your mind a beautiful family? Probably not.....and it wouldnt be the first thing that came into my head, and Im not saying that it should be that way. But, dont we deserve an option, shouldnt we be able to create our own measures and determinats of success? My expectation of a black man is underdeveloped and wide-spread. Their role in my eyes is the foundation, the provider, and the protector. I believe men naturally carry these characteristics. Society has played a major role in how women have come along. Many of us have had to adopt these roles , and that is not where the problem begins. The problem begins when they adopt these roles without the same respect and rights that men have. How can we perform roles , that for whatever reason are often thrown on our laps, when men dont allow us to step up to the plate on an equal playing field. What I urge women, especially black women to do ( and I don't expect this to be the end all of relationships) is to fall back a little and let that man do his innate duties. As a strong African-American female this is easier said than done. I'm constantly convincing myself that we are equals, and we are, our souls are 1 and 1. We need to understand that we all have roles and women we must play ours, and BROTHERS I'm asking you to step up to the plate and take on these roles that you seem to shy away from, because guess what? You CRAVE them, I promise. Do right for you and do right for the ones you love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It may seem that it is instinctive, or want to believe that already having these characteristics of “manly man” head of house hold, provider type of guy is innate. Truly it is not, I believe it is something that you learn. (If you go all population genetics, gene pool and natural selection on me, then maybe there is a shot of it being innate.) We are not born already knowing how to tie our shoe laces, right? You learn that, and like tying your shoe laces, and may other things, including being a man you learn. Not being taught how to be a man, I think is one fatal flaw that is already and will hurt the Black community here in the States. I do agree with you that Black men today needs to step up and take things more seriously. That’s my two cents.
ReplyDeleteBTW nice job on the Blog!
Abdul
My mom, Donna decided to chime in on this one she said:
ReplyDeleteMy response:
He needs #1.to learn or remember the historical persperctive of the male black experience in America. #2. Seek knowledge--Get formally educated!!!the rest will follow. "Wisdom is the principal thing;therefore get wisdom and with all thy getting, get understanding" Prov4:7
I agree with my mothers first point but interms of seeking a "formal" education, I do not think that it is essential for all black men to be college educated to fulfill their roles. Wisdom I agree is essential but that can be aquired without a degree.
Abdul,I think you're on to something but I would argue that many black men are a product of their enviroment and that instead of learning these things (foundation,provider,protector), they are learning that they can not be these things. Thanks for your input! And shout out to all the men in my life who have shaped many of my views!