Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Girls Will be Boys?
Hello followers, its been a while. But let's get straight to the point. I am a Posse Scholar ( if your unfamiliar with this term here's a sight you can reference: Lafayette Posse 5, http://www.possefoundation.org/). Recently, I attended the Posse Plus Retreat 2012 on gender and sexuality. There was a wealth of discussion on gender and what it means to be man or woman, and what is masculine and feminine. I have concluded with this retreat that i am a masculine woman. What does this mean? it means that while I embrace what it means to be a woman, I find myself displaying similar characteristics of masculinity. I have noticed this from a young age: playing with the boys at recess, and the girls, having barbies and a science kit, being emotional but not touchy feely and clingy. These are very surface level, almost superficial manifestations of my identity but I think it speaks to something (what exactly? I'm not sure). Moreover, the way I interact with people is very straightforward and to the point, and yet many people (for those who can put up with me, friends and strangers included) find an odd comfort with me; telling me personal stories and asking for my advice even when I may not have the best answers. Some would argue that gender has nothing to do with this and they could be right. However, we have grown up in a socialized world of heteronormativity where from generalizations of gender stem. So are some of my traits just Danyelle or am I behaving as a "masculine woman"? What is your gender identity, do yo define it or does it define you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment