Having a disscusion today, an interesting thought came into my head. The minorities on LC's campus are still riled up about the multiple acts of ethnic intimidation that continue to occur on campus. Many of us are wondering why only we are so offended when things like the swastika should offend everyone equally. It would be easy to attribute this non-chalance to ignorance, but I think I have come up with a plausible cause. Caution: I could be making some bold claims (work with me, let your mind expand). LC's majority is white privileged upper-middle, and upper class. The reason why things like the swastika don't affect, or stress them as much as the minority is because they are more heavily committed to the fruits of "their"( their parents) labor. I'm not claiming that these people lack values and moral standards, I just think that they are less affected because they are still comfortable and still have everything going for them. We as minority struggle economically because of years of economic, and institutional racism. Because we don't necessarily possess all the benefits of the privileged elite we more readily cling to our intangible values. We hold them closer to our hearts more so than the others because we are forced to and have been used to doing so for centuries.What do you all think? Am I reaching?
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Privileged Elite
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment